Nutrition Challenge 2019 (For CURRENT CF Templar Members)
Challenge Dates: Monday, January 14th – Sunday, March 10th (important dates 1/7/2019 @ 7:00PM and 1/13/2019 @ 8:00AM)
Register Here: Nutrition Challenge
(Athlete MUST be registered by Wednesday, January 9th)
The cost covers Body Knowledge, on site (at Templar), Body Composition testing at the beginning and end of the Challenge. Your money also adds to a CASH prize for the Challenge Winners.
Body Knowledge will be on site at CFT on Sunday January 13th at 8:00AM. You will get a brief overview of how Body Knowledge body composition testing works and how you can use your results to make progress towards your goals. Meeting begins at 8am followed by time slots for testing. You can leave after testing or stick around for the 9am workout. Your results will need to be reported to Coach Ashley after testing.
We will have an informational Meeting on January 7th at 7:00PM. Coach Ashley will answer questions and give an overview of the challenge. As well as tips on how to stay focused on each weekly objective.
HOW DOES THE CHALLENGE WORK?
You will be asked to track points for daily Healthy Habits. Each week you will receive a new objective that, if completed, will add to your score. This challenge will be focused on creating new habits that will hopefully become habits that last far beyond the end of the challenge.
- Consume less than 2 processed foods per day. (1 point per day)
- Attend CrossFit. Up to 4 days a week. (1 point per class)
Max points for week one: 11points
Continue tracking week 1 behaviors.
NEW Daily objective will be added. (1 point per day)
Max points for week 2: 18 points
Weeks 3-8 will each add a new daily objective that (may) earn additional points.
Weekly Bonus Point:
- You can Earn 1 BONUS point per week for a social media! Check in to a workout, share a healthy recipe to the Templar Nutrition Group, photo of your food prep, and/or photo of yourself executing one of the healthy behaviors! Check into Crossfit Templar on your FB page using #templarchallenge2019 *Max points toward final score is 8 (1 per week). *If you are not on Social Media, pair up with a friend for a photo. Make this FUN and creative! This is to drive the community aspect of our challenge! We will be in this together!
Aside from us all being winners for the healthy changes we have made, who takes home the cash?
The Final score will be based on points earned over the 8 weeks (30%), plus Body Fat loss as measured by the Body Composition testing (70%).
There will be 2 winners, 1st prize earning 70% of the cash and 2nd prize 30% of the cash.
Here’s How you WIN:
- You will need to submit your Score for the previous week between Sunday evening and Monday afternoon. You will receive an email each week with the next objective and a tracking sheet for the week. You do not need to submit the tracking sheet, this is just for you to keep track. Email Coach Ashley your number for the week. email@example.com
- You will also need to submit a copy of your Body Knowledge Report to Coach Ashley. This information will be kept private. We will keep a folder at the desk for reports. You can scan and email as well.
Things to consider:
- This is a challenge and it is meant to push you outside of your comfort zone!
- Be patient with yourself, you are not going to be perfect and neither are your scores.
- Adhere to the objectives as much as possible. This will be a step by step process!
- We are going to be doing this a few small steps at a time, so if you don’t know a lot about Nutrition NO problem, you will learn NEW things each week.
- Ask questions! Email Coach Ashley throughout the Challenge and she will help to get you on the right track.
Week 1 may be the most Challenging of all of the weeks. This is when you are going to take a good look at the foods you are consuming on a daily basis. Whether you are Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, or whatever diet you choose, significant research suggests that a diet rich in UNPROCESSED Whole foods is the BEST way to go. Here are some Recipe and Snack Ideas.
Processed foods are basically anything that does not have a mom or come from the ground. Packaged food examples are chips, crackers, cookies, and bread. Most of the time, if it has a label it is a processed food. We are going to include beverages in this too. For example, soda, alcohol and bottled juices with added sugar. You have the option for 2 processed foods a day, so you may want to think through the day and decide when you are willing to use them. Health food bars and protein shakes will also be considered processed foods.
Foods that technically are processed that are okay for the sake of SANITY and lunch packing*:
- Lunch Meat (aim for NO sugar and Nitrate Free)
2. Salad Dressing (aim for NO sugar and simple ingredient list)
Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and citrus fruits for dressings are good options.
3. Seasonings: salt, and spices are okay (try to avoid sugar in spice rubs and MSG).
4. Nut butters: These are okay as long as they are sugar free natural butters.
Additional Information on Nutrition Guidelines.
*I am sure as we jump into this challenge together this list may change. Bring your questions to our Informational Meeting (1/7/2019 @ 7:00PM) to discuss!